Friday, December 8, 2006

Professional or UN.....

Earlier today my friend and fellow artist in rant, told me of her personal experience with working with people who are totally unprofessional or to put it more politically correct, have a different sense of professionalism and work ethic.


 


I feel for her situation and wonder if I were in her place, being at the forefront of a situation almost akin to harassment and insubordination at the same time, could I have still held my cool, albeit my tongue.


 


One thing I would be ranting here is my own experience at how some people can keep you waiting and standing on ceremony. You see, I’m to host a corporate event over the weekend with some tweaks in the program added at the last minute. Unfortunately, the segment required me to sing a holiday ditty whose musical instrumentation, or minus-one in the vernacular, proved to be elusive and likewise unavailable. I was tasked then of having to talk to the band guy to find out if they can accompany me during the number. Halfway through, I thought shouldn’t that be the job of the coordinator and not mine? But then again, that’s a different rant, so I shall not digress and stick to the issue at hand.


 


In the interest of wanting to have a smooth presentation, I took the task and began to contact the band guy. It took him a night before responding and it was only after I called him up following three of my texts did he respond. And said that it was on short notice and that they could not accommodate my request. And lo and behold, it became my request and not of the company who contracted me in the first place. What gall! And during the conversation he even wanted me to text him the details and not speak of it over the phone in order to be comprehended.


 


I didn’t want to pull whatever clout I thought I had but I figured after introducing myself over the phone and finally on the last and fourth repeated text by adding the name of the radio station that I’m affiliated with as credentials did he respond.


 


So now, if I were merely an “ordinary” host he would’ve just continually ignored my texts and only after attaching my name and thereby revealing my status or if not lineage was he shaken to the rafters and was prompted to respond?


 


Why should people not have the decency or sense of urgency even to respond accordingly and not have to make others wait in the service of their own folly? It is foolish and darn unprofessional. And to think that he and I can be touted as brothers in the business, and still carry on the way that he did? Well, if I had a brother like that, I’d take the nearest baseball bat and whack some sense into him. Or be the nasty kid brother and be the proverbial tattletale and rant on the parent of a company and let them handle him on their terms…


 


Which seems to be not a bad idea when you think about it.


 


…Note to self…rant to parents…hmmmm.


 


 

1 comment:

  1. Some people tend to get swell-headed even if they have not made a name for themselves in the business my dear. That's something I realized as I went on observing people who came and went, those who made it and stayed, and those who just lost their luster. The thing is, they don't realize what they have or what they are is temporary. Maybe they have forgotten that there is a higher being who is the author and creator of the whole universe. In a split-second they could lose everything and go crying on their knees.

    Yes, unprofessional. Some people think they have it all because of their credentials. Screw that. You came from dust, you shall return to dust. The titles attached to one's name does not give him the excuse not to be professional, in fact, he/she should be an example of what a person of distinction must be like. Too bad, these people get blinded.

    Haay. :)

    ReplyDelete