Friday, September 3, 2010

Talk at Miriam College

Impressionable minds make impressionable hearts.

If there was any time this phrase was applicable it would probably be today.

I was invited by my colleague to give a talk at Miriam College regarding my experiences in radio. This was all part of their activity that focuses on the three different forms of media: Radio, TV and Film. It was my first time to be at Miriam and I immediately loved the feel of the campus. I was told by my guide, Therese, that the school is environment-friendly hence the number of trees. Even if the sun was boring down on us, the trees and the accompanying breeze made me feel relaxed at oddly at home. 

We made our way past the parking lot and onto the Communications arts building where 3 different talks would be happening at the same time, but in three different function rooms. I was ushered into an adjoining room where lunch was served along with Starbucks Coffee. You know I just can’t resist a good dose of caffeine, so I just had to help myself to a cup while waiting for the others to arrive.

When they finally did, we started at around 2pm and I was the first to step into the room followed by Magic 89.9’s Sam YG and Slick Rick. Now why they didn’t complete their triumvirate and got Tony Tony so that they could do a version of their show, Boys Night Out, is something I don’t know and figured that Tony was indisposed for today and I happen to be the lucky one to join the famous pair.

At our initial meeting, I remember telling Therese & her classmate that unlike the two, I come not from a Pop Station but from a Smooth Jazz station and would have different ways of doing things. They said that in a way it was good because it afforded some variety to the panel.

After the initial Opening Prayer and opening remarks by the host,  the talk thus started with Sam YG (which stands for Young Guy as he revealed in his talk), speaking about his own experiences and stressed how different and a relief it was to be heard instead of seen because one can be oneself on radio; that is, unless you put on a character for your audience and entertain them to no end. Along with that, and because we were speaking to first & second year students, he urged the students listening to try out their passion.

Slick Rick spoke next and said that Sam covered all the grounds and that was it. I chimed in and said that our work was done and we could go home. He went on to talk of his own time on radio and said that his best experience was when he was given his own show and he found his own voice. He added that doing his work as a Dj isn’t a job for him because he loves doing it.
Finally it was me, and I looked at my key points scribbled at a steno pad in front of me and began. I acknowledged their department head and thanked her for the invite and went on to talk a little of myself. How my family was flabbergasted when I told them that I would begin my radio stint some 10 years back as I was considered to be meek and all too quiet to be in radio, being the youngest and being one who would mostly do nothing but observe and keep to myself. I told the students that my debut stint on radio over at Home Radio, 97.9 was significant because apart from starting out first as a newscaster, I had to write my own news. It was a job that offered me simultaneous training in speaking and in writing.

I then moved on to my then simultaneous foray into talk radio on the AM band as I was invited to co-host, Echoes of the Heart, a show run by our Ms. World, Evangeline Pascual. My schedule then was doing my newscasting on the weekdays, Echoes on Saturday and my regular boardwork handling the Oldies show, on Sunday.

I would have wanted to talk more but we all had to make it quick to give time for the next activity and so I wrapped up my talk by singing my single, HELPLESS, and reminding them that the best way for them to pursue their dreams, whether they become DJ’s or not is to Be A Sponge and soak everything in. Learn as much as they can and also know and learn how to Lay-out their ideas and to be able to express themselves well to the best of their capabilities and apply the amassed knowledge that they have learned so far.

Our respective talks ended & were soon followed by an open forum wherein some of the girls asked non radio questions like “What is Sam’s ideal girl” and the like. At least one asked me about the song I sang to which I was able to tell them that it was taken from my upcoming album titled, Love Has Found Me.

The forum soon led to the organization and division of groups who would select a song from a list projected on screen. The song selected should embody the core values of Miriam. There were 8 groups all in all, with 5 students in it, who came up, talked like they were actually on radio and went to intro a song, give some time checks and come up with different Radio station names. Although some groups were more into it than others, on the count perhaps the ones who came first were really nervous, we all still had a great time and it was nice to give back and be able to share some pointers to the group as each of them came up one after the other. 

Finally the activity ended, we were awarded certificates as well as tokens (Love the bookmark & mug) and the girls took turns for the photo-op and we called it a day. 

All in all it was a day well spent and one that starts the month right for me. Positive and Productive! I wouldn’t mind going back for a visit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment