Saturday, November 19, 2011

Today...I Got HIT!

Today I got hit by a jeep.

Or to be more accurate, I was side swiped. And the impact left me down on the ground in disbelief & in shock.

What was different with today?

It was another Friday where I commute because the plate number of my car falls under today & I must either comply with the rules & adjust my driving time to fit the "open window" of 10am-3pm as I'm in Makati or refrain from using my car today. Given the continuing increase in gas prices, and it being a Friday, the logical thing was to use public transportation. I wasn't rushing when I got out of the house today. In fact, had much ample travel time at my disposal. With my Ipod playing India Arie, I casually walked a couple of blocks to take the jeep that would bring me to the MRT & then down at the Ortigas Center where I worked.

Perhaps it was because I was in high spirits & feeling carefree that all I saw was what was in front of me; which was a jeep slowing down to park just across the street. Perhaps it was also my thick-framed glasses that added to the blind spot & obstructed my peripheral vision. Whatever the case I stepped down from the curb & hoped to reach the jeep in time. And that's when it happened. I was suddenly struck with a force that spun me around so fast that the next thing I know was that I was on the ground with my arms out, my glasses on the street, a throbbing pain on my right knee & the feeling of being woozy. Instantly I know that I had been hit by an oncoming vehicle that came from my left & narrowly missed running me over. The driver stopped and was asking me if I was alright. People who saw what happened equally asked how I was feeling.

In truth, I felt nothing. I knew I didn't hit my head on the curb but instead grazed & banged my knee.

But I felt nothing.

I didn't get angry at the driver and like the old man in Disney's, UP actually shooed him away even when my mind told me to get his plate number should I decide to press charges. Immediately I knew there was a lesson to be learned here. Instantly I knew I was being alerted to something. Could it be the wake up call I needed to get myself out of my own devised inertia & finally scout & go for that job that I want? Could it be a reminder as well to finish that novel I've most recently revisited?

Or is it The Universe or Dad's way (from the ethers, that is) of shaking some sense back into me; to jumpstart me back into action? Either way I consider it a lesson learned & message received. And I thank my friends who took the time to call & inquire about my well-being. Either way you look at it, life, inspite of its upsets, drawbacks, delays, demands, doldrums and whatnots is still the best experience to have.

Thank you Universe.

 Message Received.

No comments:

Post a Comment