Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday Graphic Novel Reading

I know most people experience some sort of 2nd childhood when they're 50. But for Geeks like me, I think it's every time we get a purchase that we can't get our hands on; in this case, graphic novels.


For the past year, I have been indulging myself in re-discovering one of my favorite childhood superheroes, GREEN LANTERN. I don't know if the upcoming movie version of the DC superhero and the recent animated film on DVD got my interest again, but apart from Dr. Strange, GL is really the other superhero that I go gaga over. I don't know. But I'm just attracted to characters with a strong will and focus to make this happen for them.


And so since the Powerbooks Bounce back sale ends on the 31st (Tuesday) and knowing that I may not have time to get it, I just had to get em today plus another cover that got my attention which is Infinite Crisis.

I remember asking a colleague, comic book fan and fellow geek, which does he prefer? Marvel or DC? He says that when he reads these compelling characters and their respective storylines, they make him feel like a kid again. And that's why he reads DC.

Me?

I just love a good story and of course, great art. And nothing like mystical or alien forces pummeling and pushing our heroes to the limit, to bring these two elements to the fore for me and thus get my attention and prod me to buy.

So far I love what Geoff Johns has done to the Green Lantern stories. His most recent re-telling of Hal Jordan's origin and the recent, BLACKEST NIGHT, just made me love the character and Geoff even more.

Here's to more compelling reading for me. And of course, inspiration for my book. :)
Leaving you for the moment to gorge myself in my purchases for the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment