Friday, October 26, 2007

Blessed Be, My Father

On October 8, 2007 my father left me...

It took me all this time to even write and blog my thoughts as those days following his passing were a muck. I had too many ideas that I wanted to flesh out. There was just too many things all cramming in the pea size of a brain I had in such a short time; not to mention my emotional state.

Dad had been suffering for the last 5 years now and perhaps it's even selfish of me to hang on to him; to that sense of assurance, security and surety in this world by clinging on to him for just one more day knowing that for every day that passes, another day is added to his suffering. But Dad has always been the strong one. He has always been the sure one whereas I, the youngest in a family of 3 would always be the one who would look up and ask in order to make sure I got it right. At the same time when I would want to have my way, I would also be the brat and give dad a piece of my mind...ah yes, the arrogance of youth.

But I've mellowed down since then and grown a little more patient and wiser I think. And it's just bittersweet that Dad won't be with us this Christmas; that I wasn't able to finish the book that I am still writing, of which the 1st draft I gave to him last year as his birthday present. Heck, I wasn't even there when he left us during a recent family trip in Hong Kong as I had to come back to Manila to prepare his medicine to be sent back and also accompany my nephew and niece and family back home.

He knew that I loved music. He knew how I am a changed person when I'm singing on stage and giving in to my passion. But what he didn't know was, that I am now part of a new vocal group that just finished recording its first Christmas single and slated for a November release. We were planning to have special launch for just family and friends and are gearing up to do that once the album is finished. And it was supposed to be my Christmas surprise for him.

But alas, I was the one who was surprised...or rather the family was the one who got surprised when dad relinquished his hold on this world and departed for the next. I know now that he knows everything and that even my plans that were dormant are now revealed to him and so perhaps it doesn't matter as much.

But wherever you are Dad, I thank you.

I thank you for taking me in. I thank you for the money you spent on my education. I thank you for assuring me that all will be well; for telling me not to be afraid to make a decision; to hold on to the good times; to never compromise my values; to never be wasteful and to never give up.

I thank you for appreciating in your own way the creativity that I have and even pushed me to share it with others. I thank you that early on you validated that creative spark in me when I didn't even know it was there. And because of that here I am, able to do what I do today.

So many things more that I wanted to say and thank you for. But I know that I should not mourn your passing too much. Instead as your son, let me celebrate instead the life that you led; by giving credence and validation to the good values that you have taught us. And the only way to do that is to live our lives as fruitful and meaningful as we can.

I know now that my work lies ahead of me. I also know that I have an extra guardian angel watching over me and that should I need your strength, assurance, guidance, wisdom and love; all I need to ask you and remember the times that we had together.

I know I shall meet him again and perhaps when I do, he'd even be able to dictate and read back this blog to me word for word.

I shall finish the book in your name and continue to do my little bit of good in this world for you have done so much good as well. And you already started that by being my Dad.

I Love you Dad.

Irronmith D'ethenedren

your son, Casey

17 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw this I knew that I had to read and respond. We don't know each other much but we are contacts, far flung across the planet, our Mother Earth, yet when someone makes them self vulnerable and chooses to share something so personal, I have to listen and open my heart them. The internet can be a dangerous place but also a magical place. Your blog about your Dad is the latter, magical, touching and beautiful. Across the planet I send you my heartfelt support and condolences but also celebrate your blessings of having such a father. Indeed a father like the one you describe is a gift. I learned a long time ago that life is uncertain: the only thing certain is change. We must all either embrace change and grow with it or fight it and simply tie ourselves out. Everything passes with the passage of time: we too will have our day.

    Sounds to me like you are a wise man and are embracing this change, though for now it is a painful one. Your Father taught you well, live his lessons and you will honor his life. I send you my simple spiritual hugs and good will. Safe journey my friend, Wolfboy-Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cas, this moved me to tears. it's when the words they'd want to hear are being said too late, sometimes even just etched in ice-cold marble, but you probably showed him how much you love him before he left.
    you were still a good son to him and he must be very, very proud of you.

    i'll see you later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that this must be the reason why we haven't talk so much lately and I could also relate what happened to your father it's because I lost my father too and it is also the same month where my father passed away but what we could only do is pray for their eternal rest and grant them the kingdom of the Lord as well as the other fathers in this world who passed away too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about this. :( But you are right, you shall see him again. "Death is just another path, one that we all must take." The ships have come to carry your dad home. :)

    *hugs* Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Dan for your reassuring message. I agree that the net can either be the bane or boon of one's extended existence and it is good people like you that makes one's presence on the net all worthwhile.

    I accept your blessings, spiritual hugs and good will from across the seas and send you the same in this season of change, challenges and circumstance, knowing that knowing we can all get through life's battles is already half the battle won. And seeing proof of life's continuity and the promise of rewards reaped is all the more reason to go on with life....living and loving...Blessed Be! HUGS and Woofback... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks sweetie for dropping by. Ya looked great! (arrrh... ah, vampiric pirate growl -hehehe) Writing this particular entry was both difficult and at the same time cathartic. I may yet have more similar entries in the future as I was able to write a song for Dad as well. And I would be happy to record that and post it here for everyone; for you and for those who were there and made their presence known. It was much needed. :) Thank you...Thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. True The ships have come to take him INTO the WEST....with Annie Lennox singing in the background... sailing into the Grey Heavens. :) Blessed Be. :) . Thanks and Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting. We the children who are left behind are tasked with carrying out the sowing the deeds of our fathers so that they bear fruit, grow and similarly touch other people's lives as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it was fate that i read this today right after a big fight with my mom. I was all set to be angry with her. When i read the title of your blog, I planned to comfort you with a general reply. But it turned out that your words comforted me instead. It made me realize a few things. Thanks Casey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for reading too Melvs. It's really when we are all given the chance to take a step back and gauge and evaluate where we are in our lives that makes you realize that not only are we all interconnected but that everyone is out to look after one another. People in our lives at times frustrate and infuriate us to no end as we similarly may do the same to them. But that is what life is all about...To Live...To Love...and to Learn... :) Thanks for being there. :) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so proud of you Caz... you do have amazing gifts and I'm sure these are not lost on the man who raised you, even if he now watches from afar...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks fellow Charmed One. The Universe truly works in ways and rules that are beholden to none but everything is accurate and destined. And I have no doubt that wherever Dad is now, he knows everything and everyone. :) Thanks Jo. Nice to hear from ya. Blessed Be!
    Charmed Forever!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cas,

    I share your loss. It's been 17 years since i lost my father and yet the pain of the thought that he's gone still lingers. I can say that you were "lucky" because you had more time growing up with him. Back then, i didn't know how to deal with loss. I didn't know how to handle grief. I was just a child. It was hard for me growing up and braving the harsh reality of life. The only thing that i do whenever pain or loneliness would hit me is to cling to my temple of thoughts --- I cling to the thought that he's with me. I cling to that warm feeling that i had way back our happy days.

    I am so proud of you for being brave enough to share your emotions and vulnerability to the whole viewing (reading) public and that makes a strong man. Perhaps your blog about your loss validated a certain aspect in me that i am not alone who is dealing with this kind of undertaking. I was comforted for the most part. Reassured.

    Since there is a life waiting ahead of you, be prepared for that erratic stage when all of a sudden you will be flooded with nostalgia. You will perennially miss him, that's for sure. Cry if you must. Get the support system of your family and friends. Rant and rave if you must but...........spare your fine furnitures (or whatever!). Just kidding.

    I am sending you a telepathic thought balloon of comfort --- lots of it!!!

    Blessed be.

    Vic

    P.S.

    I hope that the rest of the bloggers / readers will treasure their loved ones. Trite as it is but life is too short for hate, apathy and indifference.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry about your loss. =( I hope you are all feeling a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the post Vic. It's so different from hearing about a lost loved as compared to personally suffering the loss. As they say, you'll never know up until you experience it firsthand. :)
    Got the telepathic balloon. Thanks for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks April. Taking it one day at a time and thankful for whatever Blessing it gives :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's been 100 days since Dad left and undeniably his presence is missed and at times I am reminded of it when I see an elderly man in a wheelchair. But I know wherever Dad is, he's just taking a backseat and watching how everything is falling into place. Take it easy Dad...and ah, while you're at it..play golf upstairs. :)

    Blessed Be!

    ReplyDelete